Friday, January 22, 2010

DIY Homemade Peeps!

I use to think I was the only person in the world that liked peeps. I have a huge sweet tooth and love anything super sugary, so naturally peeps are right up my alley! When I saw this tutorial for homemade peeps a few months ago, I literally jumped for joy! I bookmarked the recipe and decided today was the day to try it out! To make your own peeps, here is what you will need:
Corn Syrup, Gelatin, Sugar, Cold Water, Salt, Vanilla Extract, Corn Starch, Powdered Sugar, Food Coloring and Sanding Sugar and a candy thermometer.
I followed this basic marshmallow recipe and added pink food coloring at the same time I added the vanilla. I used two different size heart cookie cutters (lightly greased) to cut out shapes once the marshmallows had sat over night.
I finished them off by blotting them with a damp paper towel and rolling them in clear sanding sugar.
Package them for a sweet Valentine's Day gift!

XO
Ashley

5 comments:

shopgirl said...

What a lovely idea....even great for other occasions too, such as wedding favours, etc.

Thanks for sharing!!

Have a brilliant weekend!

Little Waltz said...

Oh these are adorable! I think I just might have to make some for myself. Yum.

Leslie said...

I'm really impressed with these - they turned out so good!

Leslie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ashley said...

Thanks everyone! I had never made anything like this efore so I didn't know what to expect. After I had all of the ingredients together all I had was a clear syrupy mess, but after 15 minutes of whipping it up I suddenly had marshamallows!

  •